Links

Friday, August 26, 2011

Why "A Drunkard's Journey?"

Why is this trilogy called “A Drunkard’s Journey?”

Well, I don’t want to pull a  RAFO (Read and Find Out), so here is the best explanation without spoilers.

The main character (Zhy) starts out as a hopeless drunk, and while things improve over the course of his journey, it’s never quite 100%. Book II will make things even more interesting, because everything gets a little haywire.

Originally I thought this would be something like “A Trilogy of Knots”, to refer to the philosophical/religious teachings that we see in the lands of Belden and Welcfer. But that made it impersonal. When we meet Zhy we at once feel sympathy and revulsion. And even though there are multiple threads that weave through the story, the focus really is on Zhy. As much as I wanted to avoid the cliché of the “personal journey of growth and discovery”, it sort of turns out that way, but Zhy just stops short at about 37%. Why? Well, gosh, I hate to say it, but RAFO. I hate it when authors do that, but I don’t want to give anything away.


No comments:

Post a Comment